The Work Continues…
Despite the many challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, Generations, Inc./Innovations Ministries’ “Just For You Program” has been able to consistently provide our seniors access to fresh fruits and vegetables, recipes, and handouts for the past seven months thanks to a staff of dedicated volunteers with a heart for seniors. From notes written on pre-registration forms, to voicemail messages, and conversations during produce pickup, the seniors are always so appreciative. It is encouraging to know the program is making a positive impact in the lives of those we serve. Here are a few comments we have received from “Just For You” recipients.
- “Thank you. I appreciate what you do”…Ruth
- “Wow! Peanuts too!”…Voicemail Message
- “Thank you for all you do”…Russell
- “This program has meant a lot to me. It gives me a lot of vegetables that I really need”…Linden Lake Resident
- “Thank you so much for the convenience of delivering produce to us here at Harvest House. It’s difficult for me in my wheelchair to get out. And everybody knows produce is the most expensive thing to buy. So thank you from the bottom of my heart”…Harvest House Resident.
Just For You has had an equal impact on our volunteers as reflected in their comments.
- “My heart was filled with joy to be a blessing to others and provide nutritious fruits and vegetables”…Tina
- “Serving others brings joy to my life. It is my pleasure”…Yvette
- “Being a volunteer with Just For You gives me a feeling of great joy and an opportunity to give back”…Liz (Queenie)
- “I enjoyed being a part of the Just For You Program. So rewarding being a part of a team that truly embraces their mission”…Wanda H.
- “An opportunity to serve and to be a blessing to those who are in need”…Wil
We have made great strides since the pandemic struck. We look forward to continuing produce distribution, recipes, and handouts in the new grant year. In the next few months, we look forward to expanding our Harvest House pilot program to the remaining sites – Linden Lake and Lindenwold Towers. The pilot initiatives include bi-weekly encouragement robocalls, monthly conference calls on various health and nutrition topics, and Letters of Love with words of encouragement from youth in fulfillment of our goal to eliminate social isolation among seniors and bridge the generational gap between seniors and youth.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 restrictions. If restrictions are eased, our hope is to utilize onsite video conferencing in community rooms to build social connectedness and deliver workshops on various health and nutrition topics, cooking demonstrations, and implement social engagement events with seniors and youth to enhance our outreach efforts.
Generations, Inc./Innovations Ministries is most appreciative to New Jersey Health Initiatives and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for making the “Just For You Program” possible! And so the work continues…
About the Grantee
Generations, Inc., a community development corporation, provides comprehensive, coordinated services to meet the needs of families and individuals, providing full access to necessary services for all ages. Innovations Ministries, a non-profit entity within Generations, promotes a proactive approach to personal development, lifestyle management and enhance overall well-being and quality of life.