A Farmer’s Market Planned for Wayne
These days more families are intentionally seeking out affordable farm to table and organic foods. Shopping at a local farmer’s market is a great way to achieve this and Healthier Wayne agrees. They have been putting together plans for the first annual farmer’s market in Wayne Township and have taken the following steps to get closer to the goal of a June 1, 2019 start date:
- Gathering a list of local farmers and vendors to participate
- Collaborating with the Township on securing a large enough space to hold the market that is safe for both vendors and patrons
- Planning to have the market run every Saturday for 20 weeks
- Hiring a Farmer’s Market Manager to oversee progress, activities, etc.
- Exploring additional options, such as picnic benches, local musicians and crafting activities
“Offering a Farmer’s Market in Wayne will be a great way to encourage healthy eating, local family activities, and a stronger sense of community in general,” said Cathy Scutti, Wellness Director at the Wayne YMCA, one of the organizations involved in Healthier Wayne, “We are looking forward to working together as a team to make this happen.”
Want to know the top 10 reasons to shop at a farmer’s market? Go to https://www.nutrition.gov/subject/shopping-cooking-meal-planning/farmers-markets to find out!
About the Grantee
The Wayne YMCA is charitable nonprofit organization that serves as the center of community and culture in Wayne Township. We are a powerful association of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. At the Y, strengthening community FOR ALL is our cause.
Cohort: North 1
Funder: Atlantic Health System